Thursday, April 2, 2015

March 31, 2015 Hopetown, Elbow Cay, Bahamas

After listening to the net and having breakfast, we left Marsh Harbor.  As we were leaving, we saw a boat of someone we met in North Carolina.  We circled back, but they weren’t at their boat.  We’ll check next weekend.

As we left Marsh Harbor, a catamaran was leaving and heading the same direction as us.  Dave always says “if there are two boats on the water, there is a race”.  They looked like 3 young couples all in bikinis and swimsuits.  Looked like a charter boat for the week.  We were side by side when Dave put up our jenny sail.  It was OK, but the winds were light and our spinnaker would work better.  And he wanted to see what shape it was in anyway.  So we took down the jenny and took our time putting up the spinnaker.  Finally, we caught the wind and took off ahead of the catamaran even dragging our dinghy at about 5 knots.  Dave figured they couldn’t believe an old couple on a live aboard boat would ever be faster than them.  He said “we gave them hope, like in the Hunger Games, but then we beat them.”  I don’t think they ever had racing in their minds, but Dave was having fun. 
me on bow with spinnaker and lighthouse on shore

We anchored outside of Hopetown on Elbow Key by their light house.  We had started a load of sheets in our 5 gallon bucket before we left Marsh Harbor.   So now we rinsed them and hung them to dry.  We used a parachute cord as a clothes line that we tied between the standing rigging on the boat.  That kept the sheets from dragging against anything. 
lighthouse from our anchorgae
hanging laundry

Then I snorkeled around the boat and checked our anchor.  Dave was in the dingy and tried out his new bucket especially made for looking below the surface.  He took a 2 gallon bucket and cut out the bottom and attached plexi glass to the bottom.  When you put it on the water surface, you can see below very clearly.  Someone told him about it in Florida.  So he bought the parts there, but made it after we on Sunday.  So this was the first time trying it.  
snorkeling in beautiful water
mermaid under the bucket

Then we went into Hopetown to check it out.  It is really a pretty little community  We found the dock that takes your garbage on MWF from 8:30-9:30.  Then we found the public dock, tied up and walked around town.  I talked to the dive shop about diving with them or renting tanks and gear.  We found the Sailing club, the museum and the Hopetown Lodge.  They had a great restaurant/bar overlooking the Atlantic Ocean with a pool and a great beach.  They didn’t have food after lunch until dinner in their NICE dining room.  So we headed back to our dinghy and went to Captain Jacks.  It was now 5:00 and happy hour.  So we had margaritas and beers, fish tacos and a fish platter.  We shared the 2 tacos made with diced mahi mahi, and the platter with popcorn shrimp, coconut fried conch, grilled mahi mahi and jerk seasoned grilled mahi mahi.  It was all wonderful and reasonably priced.  We sat on their deck with a view of the light house. So relaxing!
public dock in Hopetown with main street on shore
beach on ocean side of island
Captain Jacks happy hour

Back at the boat, Dave showered.  Then at sunset, we watched them light the kerosine light house.  It is one of only 2 working kerosine light houses in use.  We plan to climb and tour it next week.  I sat and watched for the lighting with binoculars.  Well, they don’t light it right at sunset.  I think I held those binoculars for 40 minutes not wanting to miss it. 

The sheets still had a little dampness to them.  So we went into the storage area under the v berth closest to the bow.  We exchanged bedding for us and company for winter clothing and books.  Always a shuffle.

No comments:

Post a Comment