Last night we looked at our route and the tides. We decided we should get an early start so we could be at a shallow area at high tide. We are learning as we go. We left at 8:30 am. About 11:00 we went thru Mud River and had no problems with high tide at 10:30.
We crossed Sapelo Sound about 1:00. We passed another sailboat and they hailed us on the VHF. They recognized the name of our boat from Marathon. They had been there at the same time. At about 2:30, in Bear Creek, we passed a boat that was sitting at about a 25 degree heel stuck in the mud. They were going to wait until after low tide at 4:30 and let the water rise so they could float off rather than be towed. The tide changes about 8 feet in this area.
About 3:00 we were heading right into a thunderstorm. We considered stopping, but it was coming our way anyway. So we figured we would be out of it sooner if we just kept going. It rained pretty hard and there was lightning all around us. Dave navigated and I prayed and we made it through. We were glad we had isinglass side windows made. Our new seat cushion got wet at the stern, but should be ok.
We anchored near Keller, GA in Buckhead Creek. It was near low tide, so it was nice to know it wouldn’t get any more shallow. But with an 8 ft tide, you have to take that into consideration when you are deciding how much anchor rode to let out.
Dave cooked the navy beans with the bone from the Boston Butt (which we didn’t use for the pulled pork) and his own concoction of spices. Then we put the beans back in the Wonderbag. This has been fun.
|at least we weren't heeled like this when we were stuck|
|another afternoon squall|
Post a Comment