Tuesday, February 17, 2015

February 15, 16, 17. 2015 Brunswick, GA to St Austustine, FL

2-15-15 Ga to FL

We finally left Georgia.  Back in early December, we thought we would be in GA for about a week waiting out bad weather and checking out the marina.  But we ended up having Dave’s cataract surgeries there.  And I made a trip back to SD.  We really enjoyed the area and the amenities the marina had to offer.  We have reserved a slip for next summer during hurricane season while we plan to make another trip to SD/MN.

We ended up leaving early Sunday morning to pass Jekyll Island before low tide.  High tide was 6:00 am and low was about noon with high about 6:00 pm again.  So we left at 6:30 am and didn’t have any trouble going past the island.  We saw a beautiful sunrise over Jekyll Island.  When we reached Fernandina, FL, it was low tide.  This was the one spot we were stuck on the way north.  We followed the advice of other sailors on Active Captain and made it through just fine.  The lowest spot we found was less than 2 feet under our keel. 

We decided to stay at a nice anchorage near Amelia Island and actually stopped kind of early, 2:30 pm.  But that was an 8 hour day and about 45 miles.  I had a nap in the late morning.  But Dave was pretty tired.  I made an early dinner of spaghetti and Dave hit the bed by 6:00 pm.  It wasn’t even dark yet!  He doesn’t usually sleep through the night, so he thought he’d get a head start.  It was great to be back on the water and moving somewhere. 
Now that's a nice friend when they get up to send you off at 6:30 am and even take a photo.  Thanks Harold!
sunrise over Jekyll Island
2-16-15 ICW to N of St Augustine

Today we started later, 9:30, because it was a holiday :)  We traveled the ICW because there wasn’t a good place to go outside and back in before the weather would turn worse tonight.  It was interesting to see familiar places along the way.

Dave spent the whole day at the helm with a few short breaks from me.  I have been battling a cough for 2 weeks, so I spent more time inside today.  It was rather windy and we had to fight the current in several places.  So we only made it 40 miles in 8 hours today.

We anchored off the ICW about 10 miles north of St Augustine.  We had a great dinner of leftover spaghetti from last night and from my Friday night salmon pasta.  Yummy!
Probably another early night with limited power to run the computer.

2-17-15 St Augustine, FL

I woke up with my cough being worse instead of better.  So we decided to get a slip in St Augustine at Camachee Cove Marina so I could see a doctor.  I don’t normally go to the doctor for a cold, but since we want to leave for the Bahamas this week, I thought I should be sure there wasn’t anything that could be done. 

We were only about 6 miles away from the marina.  So we were there by 10:30 am.   We had lunch, and I showered, then I used the marina’s courtesy car to go to a walk in clinic that they suggested.  Dave stayed to shower and do a load of laundry.  The CDC is telling the doctors that if someone has a cough for more than 2 weeks, they should be placed on an antibiotic, z-pack.  He was nice enough to give me a refill so we could have one on the boat in case Dave ends up with this.  Honestly, I don’t know how he has avoided it so far.  Let’s just say this Valentine’s day was nothing spectacular. 

We really are spoiled by having endless power and wifi in a marina.  4 months in the Bahamas may be a challenge for us.

Camachee Cove Marina.  Always funny to see pelicans drying their wings

No comments:

Post a Comment