Saturday, January 10, 2015

December 26-30, 2014 GA online CPR & 1st Aid

We signed up for a CPR and First Aid class that you test on line, then you go to a center to be checked out.  So we spent a few days trying to get through the two courses online.  We don’t have a great wifi connection here, so it took longer than expected.  I ended up going to the local library on Monday to finish.  Even there, I would lose the wifi connections periodically.  In between studying, we listened to foot ball.

On Sunday, I sang with the choir again.  But that day, we only had 4 people in the choir.  They were so thankful to have me there. 

I decided to go back to SD for Ski for Light.  So I spent part of the weekend deciding what dates and finding the best deal.  I still had a $400 voucher from last year’s trip to SFL, so I needed to work that in there.  I have to take the voucher into the Jacksonville airport to validate it or mail it in.  Strange :(

We also spent time going through our storage areas on the boat.  We are going to put some things in our storage unit to make more room for visitors this winter.  

On the 29th, our boat neighbors invited us over for happy hour.  They are from northern Michigan and own a Bed and Breakfast there.  They have owned this boat for many years, but have chartered it out.  So now they are spending time on the boat, but still running the B&B.  After a few glasses of wine, I gave up on doing laundry.

Tuesday, we picked up a rental car to go to Jacksonville, FL for our CPR and First Aid test. 

First, we stopped at the airport to finalize my reservations with my voucher.  Then we drove to Green Cove Springs, our home town :) and picked up our mail.  We had several packages sent there knowing we would go there soon.  And there were about 5 Christmas cards that were still mailed to us, instead of e-mail.  So that was fun.

We decided to swing through St Augustine and stop at the VA clinic to check on the status of Dave’s eye appointment.  All they could really tell us was that there are lots of vets that need eye exams, but they’ll give them a reminder about his appointment.

Then we stopped to check out a marina that we may want to dock at.  Hidden Harbor marina is under new management.  It is a small marina and walking distance to a grocery store and West Marine.  So it would be smarter to be there than in the city mooring field, if we will be here for awhile.  Just checking.

Then we went to Jacksonville for our test.  We met Carlos at 5:00.  We went through the CPR for health professionals.  I need that to keep my SD dental license up to date.  That included using an AED.  Dave took the same class, so that was his first time using one.  The instructor is also an instructor for wilderness first aid.  They are planning to start a "First Aid afloat" class.  We’d be interested in taking that.

No comments:

Post a Comment